Responsible for operating machine tools to produce precision metal parts. Produces small batches or large quantities of metal parts. Ensure products meet precise specifications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operate machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to produce parts.
- Review blueprints and / or specifications for a job.
- Shape steel, aluminum, plastic, and other materials.
- Determine speeds and feeds of materials being cut.
- Determine how much material to remove.
- Select proper tools for the job.
- Position workpiece on the drill press, lathe, or milling machine.
- Ensure workpiece is properly lubricated and/or cooled.
- Replace dull cutting tools.
- Check accuracy of work against blueprints and specifications.
- Determine cutting path, monitor the accuracy of cuts.
- Use manual and computer-controlled machinery.
- Modify programs in order to meet necessary tolerances.